The exterior of the church is comparatively plain. The short tower was to have been finished with a spire but probably due to lack of funds this was never built. This same constraint may well, however, have saved the interior from the failing of so many Victorian churches, over elaboration. The simple lines of the two-centred chancel arch are repeated in the arcades that run along both sides of the nave. These arches are supported by short sturdy pillars with exuberantly –carved capitals. Sadly, under only one arch can one see a very proper motif of Scottish thistles. Through the chancel arch a wide choir leads up to the east end; there, behind the altar reredos of Caen stone is set beneath triple lancet windows.
The church was greatly blessed in the generosity of its congregation. They not only raised the six thousand pounds that, at that time, it cost to build it ,but also made many individual donations. The altar and reredos, the east and chancel windows, the font, and the stained-glass windows in the nave were all given in this way. The pulpit was a memorial to the Revd. James Crabb, who was the Rector at the time of the building of the church and did a great deal to bring it to its successful conclusion. The big west window was presented by tenants of the twelfth earl of Dalhousie as a memorial to him and to his Countess, both of whom died in 1887 as the church was being built. Below the window, brought over from the old church, is a stone tablet dedicated to the memory of Revd. David Moir, the last Bishop of Brechin, actually to live in Brechin, in the house that is now the Rectory.